Thursday, November 13, 2008

Margaret Leigh/The Heart Divided

Photobucket

Bareback Angels/Torquere Press

Adair gave Abbie his arm as they set out to walk back to her home. Some of the earlier tension had dissolved, but Abbie still seemed inclined to hold him at a distance. Adair’s fingers fretted at the edge of his jacket sleeve as he tried to think of some way to cut through her reserve and regain the companionable feeling between them.

As they walked by the light of the waning moon, the town and prying eyes left behind, Adair slowed his steps, pulling Abbie to a halt.

“Abbie,” he said softly. “I’m sorry for what I said back at the hall.” He gazed into her eyes. “My work is what it is, there is no helping it.” He rested his hands on her shoulders, her skin soft and warm to his touch. God, but she is alluring. Adair closed his eyes for a moment and then went on. “Please, let us not allow it to…”

“Bryant,” her reply was a whisper on the breeze. “I’m sorry, too. Really, I am. I do try not to think badly of ye. I know ye must do your duty.” She raised her eyes to his face, the pupils wide and dark in the moonlight. “I…”

Adair sighed. Biting his lip, he slowly drew her closer. “Abbie…” he whispered. His heart set up a ragged beat as he pulled her to him, his arm going around her waist, one hand on her jaw as he tipped her face up and pressed his mouth to hers.

He felt her stiffen in his arms for a moment as his tongue touched her lips, and then she melted against him, her lips parting and her hands gripping the lapels of his jacket. He groaned, pulling her close, his fingers in her hair, loosing the pins to let it tumble in silken waves down her back. God, dear God! His hands slid over her shoulders and down to cup small, yielding breasts through the silk of her gown.

“Abbie,” he sighed against her mouth. “God, how I want you!”

Abbie tensed, her hands flattening against his chest as she pulled away. “Stop!” she said in a tense whisper. “Let me go!”

“Please.” Adair held her. “I…”

“No!” Breaking away from him, panting, Abbie raised a trembling hand to her lips. She stared wide-eyed at him for a moment, and then she swung away, stumbling on the rough ground as she hurried towards her home.

“Abbie, wait.” Adair started after her and she quickened her steps, a wild sob drifting back to him on the breeze. He cursed himself for a fool.

“I’m sorry. Please,” Adair said. “Let me help you to get home. I will not…”

Abbie stopped, gathering her fichu around her shoulders as though chilled. She did not speak, but she allowed him to take her arm, and they walked in silence until they reached her cottage.

At the door, Abbie stopped and turned to him, her eyes dark and wide as she looked up at him. “I had a pleasant evening,” she said in a voice that shook with emotion. She gave him her hand for a moment, but pulled away before he could kiss her fingers. “Ye’d best go,” she whispered, and then she opened the door and slipped inside without another word.

He stood for a moment, leaning his forehead against the rough wood of the door, and then turned away with a sigh. What was I thinking? he asked himself as he turned his steps towards town. It will be my own, stupid fault should she never speak to me again.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

I am a contest! Enter to win! Find out more at... http://msaendlessromancecontest.blogspot.com